Sunday, October 05, 2008

I DO NOT WISH TO BE PUBLISHED ON BNN

I recently asked David Mastio, the Chief Executive Officer of Blog Net News to remove my blog from the Blog Net News Oklahoma aggregator. I did not ask for my blog to become a part of the BNN network and never gave permission for its use there. And, after seeing my blog listed on the same page as a homosexual marriage announcement and a blasphemous parody of the birth of Jesus Christ, I decided that BNN, despite many fine and respected bloggers who do participate there, is nevertheless an enterprise that I do not care to be publicly associated with. When I asked to be removed, Mr. Mastio replied in part with the following:
Now that the blogosphere is clearly a player, the bloggers that make it up have to get used to the fact that they are news. If sticking by our commitment to bring people the most comprehensive information on what’s happening in each state’s public affairs blogosphere — bringing transparency — means we are unpopular in some quarters, that’s a price we’re willing to pay.
So, in the name of "transparency" and the First Amendment Mr. Mastio has decided that I, through my blog, must march in the same daily cyber parade as people who insult me personally, attack my clients, denigrate my values and blaspheme my faith. In the name of so-called "freedom of speech" (and making a buck) Mr. Mastio is perfectly willing to tell me that I have two choices, either do not publish a blog at all or publish it in his forum which denies me my constitutional right to free association.

And that is the problem with people like Mr. Mastio. They do not understand or care that there are people like myself who find some BNN participants bad mannered and boorish to the point that we are embarrassed to be publicly associated with them. Notice that I am not suggesting that these people be censored or punished in any way for publishing their hate and drivel. I am simply saying that if BNN does not choose edit their publication more carefully, I don't choose to be publicly associated with it. But, Mr. Mastio is telling me I have no choice in the matter.

A gentleman would say, "If you don't want to participate in my publication I certainly won't force you to. I can't stop other bloggers from quoting you under the fair use doctrine but I won't continue the daily use of your name and work on my site if you really object to their presence there." But, Mr. Mastio did not say that, so you can draw your own conclusions.

1 Comments:

Blogger RD said...

wow, I had no idea... I have enjoyed many of your posts and wish you very best. Keep the faith.
-red

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home